Hidden Bay is a “nut aware” camp. This means that we don’t serve any meals or products that contain peanuts or tree nuts. We can’t guarantee a peanut and tree nut free site.
We are able to accommodate lactose-free, vegetarian and gluten free campers. If your camper has specific brands that they prefer (eg. specific brand soy milk or gluten free pasta) please send those along with the camper.
We ask that all campers try the food at each meal, and we do have cut vegetables, fruit and cream cheese and bread available at each meal.
- Meals are served family style and campers are able to select their own seats. Meals are overseen by counsellors and there is always lots of food for seconds.
- Vegetarian options are available at most meals for all campers.
- We do not serve pork as part of our camp menu.
- All special diets and allergies are prepared separately, as needed. Please state any food allergies or special diets on your camper’s health form. Preferences and picky eaters will not be accommodated.
- Cold water is served at the table at every meal and real fruit juice (orange or apple) is available at each breakfast.
- The menu has been prepared by the Camp Director following Canada’s Food Guide. It has been designed to provide a nutritionally balanced diet that is enjoyable for campers.
- The camp menu runs on a two-week schedule, subject to change based on campers and seasonal produce availability
- Dessert is served occasionally, but campers do get a cookie and fruit at snack each day.
- Hidden Bay purchases good quality ingredients and food products. We prepare our meals fresh daily with a mixture of fresh ingredients and some prepared food items (eg. chicken burgers). As a charitable organization we aim to provide the best quality product to your campers at the most effective price.
- Hidden Bay maintains a clean and safe kitchen. We are inspected each summer by the local Health Inspector. We maintain our daily fridge and freezer temperature logs and the kitchen is cleaned and disinfected daily. All food is properly stored in sealed containers, which are labeled and dated. The Camp Director and Camp Cook are Certified Safe Food Handlers.
If you have any questions about our camp menu and kitchen, please contact us. We are happy to discuss how we can make sure that your camper has a great time at camp.